Tuesday, September 29, 2009

One of Life's Most Important Questions

So everybody knows that it's my birthday in about two weeks. I say this because apparently even Gillette (you know... the razor company?) knows. So if they know, everybody does. Anyhoo, you may be wondering how I know that the Gillette el Razor Company knows that I am turning 18. Well I'll tell you. When I got home today I found a great little package in the mail. It was a razor complete with some gel! Hooray! Except... it was for a man. Yes. You heard me correctly. A man razor. With a complete guide of how to shave my beard 18 different ways.
Grand.
At first I thought it would be enjoyable to call and complain. I thought maybe I'd get another new razor out of it, only this time for a woman. Then I realized the coversation would probably go something like this:

Me: " Hello. I just wanted to call and complain that for my birthday you sent me a razor. For a man."
Gillette Complaint Center Person: " Oh... Okay, I'm sorry... uh do you want to send it back?"
Me: " Oh... no. I just wondered why you sent me a man's razor... did you think I was a man? Because this razor...is a mans... and you see I'm a woman. Did you not know that? I need a razor for a woman because I am one. So why didn't you send me a woman razor?!?!"
Gillette: "Does it really matter? It's free... and you have hair on your legs, and I'm pretty sure it shaves just like a woman's razor..."
Me: " Oh... ya. Yes that's true... oh. Okay well bye then..."
And I'd hang up in shame.
So then I started wondering: Why do I care? I shave. Hopefully every girl shaves... and so do boys. And they both use razors. So I should just use it and not worry about if it is a mans or womans razor. A razor is a razor. So I used it. And I figured out that it was pretty much the same. I didn't feel manly with using this new man razor. Nope. So that got me thinking and I came up with pretty much the most important of lifes questions ever.
WHY DO MEN AND WOMEN HAVE DIFFERENT RAZORS?!
They do the exact same thing. Shave. That's it. The end. So I posted my question of facebook. Apparently nobody else thought this was an important question, because I only got one response back. It said: "Women's razors have more conditioning strips. Men's razors generally have more blades." -Jason Chen.
(Thanks Jason for commenting by the way)  Another thing: They're different colors.
So great. I see why they are different. But WHY.
THIS IS WHAT I MUST KNOW!!!!
Why can't women have five blades and smoother legs, while men have a conditioned face? Is it not manly to have a conditioned face? Is it not womanly if we don't spend extra time shaving our legs when we could be doing it faster with five blades? Why don't we just combine all these great things and make the ultimate, UNISEX razor?! Everything you love in a razor combined into ONE! Conditioning strips, five blades, and it comes in an assortment of colors!
Wouldn't the world be a happier place?
I think so.
:)
What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I think they're looking at the money aspect of things. They can make more money if they market a razor for women and a razor for men. They can tailor their commercials to the respective audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or... they could just make a kick booty commercial featuring both hot men and women that are shaven... with the great amazing new unisex razor! Wouldn't that be more fun? Yes. Yes it would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I've been thinking about this since you posted on Facebook. And what I come up with difference wise is not much ... mostly contour of blade ... USA did an article about Gillette razors ... http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2004-12-15-razor-usat_x.htm ... Way to get me thinking on random topics, Whitney. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you even researched for me! How nice!!! And getting you to think about random topics is what me and my blog is here for Krysta. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha my brother got the exact same razor in the mail!!! Apparently they do think you are a boy!! Ha ha but i totally agree with you they should just make a razor that both boys and girls can use.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Let me know what you think of what i'm writing about, and tell me ideas of more stuff to write! I love comments because then I know you're reading my blog!!!

Welcome to My Blog!

Thank you for coming to my blog, please stay awhile! Read and comment on everything, even if you want to comment on every single post you read! I like knowing people are reading what I write! If you want me to write about something specific, or give me fun ideas to write about please tell me! I don't ever have enough good ideas for what to write about, and you can help me out!